[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 5 06:30:24 MDT 2011

Joy,

>But as I wrote I expect there are other things
> at stake here and that the declaration may be a bit of a Trojan horse.

Agreed.

> The one to attack for defamation for treating the Buddha as deadbeat dad
> would be Asvaghosa, although his version makes better movie material
> than the Ariyapariyesanā Sutta [MN 26] (See Jayarava's Raves
> http://jayarava.blogspot.com/2011/07/buddhas-biography.html).

One way a modern adherent of a tradition deals with an uncomfortable event
or issue in the past is to deny it really happened. I think it's a bit
harder to dismiss Buddha's family and child, since Rahula and his
step-mother do play roles in numerous places elsewhere in the Pali canon --
one would have to explain away all those occurrences, or accuse the
composers/redactors of deviously inventing and scattering all those
references just to cover up their own invention. In the Nikayas especially,
on those few occasions when the Buddha explains some current issue by
referring back to his own earlier life and experience, those recountings are
inevitably laconic and limited to aspects germane to the current issue.
Gathering all those supposedly autobiographical utterances would not yield
anything close to an adequate narrative of his biography. He typically skips
details which are then found in another talk.

As for the Ariyapariyesanā Sutta being earlier or more original than other
Nikaya, etc. accounts -- doesn't seem to be the case, since he is using
terms like abhidhamma and kilesa (actually saṅkilesa and saṅkilesadhamma)
that are not usually found in the early literature. E.g., the PTS Pali-Eng.
Dictionary, under kilesa (it has not entry for saṅkilesa) observes: "Kilesa
(and klesa) [from kilissati] ... Its occurrence in the Piṭakas is rare; in
later works, very frequent, where it is approx. tantamount to our terms
lower, or unregenerate nature, sinful ..."

Even the narrative flow of the story seems odd. More commonly Buddha speaks
giving this talk, whose topic is unsolicited but only occurs because Ananda
tricks him into going to a place where Ananda has already suggested to a
bunch of monks eager to hear Buddha speak -- which they say hasn't happened
in awhile -- that Buddha will be there, which happens to be the house of a
Brahman. When Buddha arrives they are already engaged in discussion -- he
waits outside for a chance, and then with a clearing of his throat,
interrupts and joins the shindig. And then, with no question or issue to
address or respond to, he just launches into the benefits of leaving home
and what it means to properly "search". Why would Ananda have to manipulate
monks and Buddha to end up one evening in a Brahman's house just so they can
hear Buddha speak? Too contrived.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu's tr., and an intro that addresses the question of
whether this is an "earlier" account, is at
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.026.than.html (he point out
how when Buddha rejoins his ascetic partners to announce he is now the
Tathagata, the story had omitted their previous experiences together,
expecting the audience to *already* be familiar with that, another sign that
this is a late text, rather than early, one which presumes familiarity with
the basic outlines, so that nonrelevant matters not directly involved in the
current talk can be elided.

I might add, this is the same sutta that explains that just after Buddha's
enlightenment, feeling he had accomplished what needed to be accomplished,
he was about to pass into nirvana when Brahma Sahampati talks him into
postponing that, that people need his teaching, and he is persuaded to hang
around longer to spread the Dhamma. So we are not being treated to an
historical account.

Dan