[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 01:04:07 MST 2011

Thanks for the link and the explanations Dan. I read the whole sutta and
agree with your points. The terminological remarks are interesting. Not
sure it's earlier or later than Ashvagosha ? Or whether it was
Ashvagosha's version that was the cause of the audience (readers)
already expected to be familiar with the Buddha's life?

Joy

"As for the Ariyapariyesanā Sutta being earlier or more original than
other Nikaya, etc. accounts -- doesn't seem to be the case, since he is
using terms like abhidhamma and kilesa (actually saṅkilesa and
saṅkilesadhamma) that are not usually found in the early literature.
E.g., the PTS Pali-Eng. Dictionary, under kilesa (it has not entry for
saṅkilesa) observes: "Kilesa (and klesa) [from kilissati] ... Its
occurrence in the Piṭakas is rare; in later works, very frequent, where
it is approx. tantamount to our terms lower, or unregenerate nature,
sinful ..."