[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 08:15:10 MDT 2011

Dan,

Religions have been evolving constantly. What used to be acceptable in a
certain context may not be acceptable at a later time. This tends to be
more of a problem for revelations and religions of the Book and
especially in case of a literal reading thereof. Self promotion at the
cost of others is built in in any religion.

Defamation, like discrimination, racism is already punishable by law. I
expect that official religious organizations can defend themselves in
case of a legal offense. But as I wrote I expect there are other things
at stake here and that the declaration may be a bit of a Trojan horse.

The one to attack for defamation for treating the Buddha as deadbeat dad
would be Asvaghosa, although his version makes better movie material
than the Ariyapariyesanā Sutta [MN 26] (See Jayarava's Raves
http://jayarava.blogspot.com/2011/07/buddhas-biography.html).

Joy