[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 3 04:22:51 MDT 2010

Erik,

>In Europe Freud is outdated. I´ve read a discussion between
>Jacques-Alain Miller and Michel Onfray in the Philosophie Magazine

But this is exactly the point. A few decades ago psychology departments --
much less neuroscience labs -- did not read or discuss Freud. If one wanted
to read Freud, one had to take a course in a Religion or (in France) a
philosophy dept. And Lacanian analysis, which is an interesting but also
bizarre offshoot (short session, good; Lacanian theory of the unconscious
more about being clever than insightful -- in the end only looks profound,
actually superficial) both was and wasn't Freudian -- Derrida among others
challenged Lacan's reading of Freud.

Today religion and philiosophy departments are no longer the place to read
Freud -- he's harder to appropriate for the faddish théorie du jour than
some others. It is in the halls of science -- in descriptive as opposed to
therapeutic psychology -- that attention is once again being paid. Not
without some resistance, of course.

But Freud is entitled to borrow that great line of Mark Twain (borrowed by
Paul McCartney and others): "The rumors of my death are greatly
exaggerated."

Dan