[Buddha-l] 9. Attadiipaa Sutta (Joy Vriens)

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Tue May 11 00:12:23 MDT 2010

Hi Dan,

As for the dvipa discussion, let's not forget during all the thought

> experiments, that India itself is called -- in the same Nikayas --
> jambudīpa, the "island/continent of Jambu" (Skt. Jambudvīpa). So the
> claustrophobic musings about islands, including consigning it to mid-river
> tidal flashes, is too restrictive.
>
> Yes that was the third meaning given by Vāman Shivarām Āpte. A continent,
so you will have to be either a Nasa shuttle or a god to see the two waters
(dvi appa).
Hey about the claustrophobic musings, when you see a granny juggling plenty
of shopping bags and three dogs trying to push herself between parked cars
in order to cross the street, you just sit back continuing to sip your
coffee on a café terrace thinking how hard it must be to grow old? At least
Lance acted as a gentleman offering his own brilliant musings.

The positive result of having humiliated myself in front of deeply
introverted practitioners is that it leaves me with a lovely island with
other senses dancing on it, whereas before I only had a bleak island lost in
the fog.

Do you know the joke about Vimalakirti, the deeply introverted practitioner
and the autist?

Joy