[Buddha-l] 9. Attadiipaa Sutta (Joy Vriens)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon May 10 18:00:15 MDT 2010

>you wont be able to understand the
> expression ksetra and ksetrajnana properly. Ksetra in this context means
> the
> body and the knower of the body.

Joy, these terms are the crucial epistemological recommendation of the
Bhagavad Gita, ch. 13. The knower is purusa, the field is prakrti. "Body" is
too limited a concept to encompass prakrti.

As for the dvipa discussion, let's not forget during all the thought
experiments, that India itself is called -- in the same Nikayas --
jambudīpa, the "island/continent of Jambu" (Skt. Jambudvīpa). So the
claustrophobic musings about islands, including consigning it to mid-river
tidal flashes, is too restrictive.

It is especially disappointing that after a discussion of Nagarjuna the
buddha-hell regulars start applying either/or insistence to a delicious
hermeneutic aporia, otherwise known as a pun. -dīpa has both meanings, and,
while it has a traditional interpretation that probably reflects the more
basic sense, the other senses dance in the margins of our considerations,
enriching our thinking. The advice by Lance and Richard in that regard is on
target. Take note as well, that this phrase was oft-repeated, and does not
just occur in this sutta and the Nibbana sutta. It recurs numerous times in
the Nikayas.

Dan