[Buddha-l] Aura and after-image

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Fri May 7 12:51:58 MDT 2010

I know what semiotic means but don't understand your use of it
above.

My reading of the suttas only finds nimitta to mean "sign of" as,
for example, subha-nimitta meaning sign of beauty.

By the way, some use AN 10.29
_http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.029.than.ht
ml_
(http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.029.than.ht
ml)  as  a sutta reference for nimitta. I don't see it.

jack

I didn't check that link. However, my use of semiotic was simply
to refer to nimitta as a sign (of) rather than as a material
object.  So using 'nimitta' would simply provide a general
abstract term that could denote a functional class of empirical
objects (in this context, of enhancing meditation).
That's as far as I care to go with this because I'm losing track
of the original query's intention, which I thought I'd maybe
contribute to with my subsequent post on after-images as here:
http://tinyurl.com/35aou8w .

Joanna