[Buddha-l] Eckhart and Buddhism - general question

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jul 2 10:43:42 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 03:46:54 -0700 (PDT),
"lemmett at talk21.com" <lemmett at talk21.com> wrote:

> Hi again,

High again? Honestly, you should take a look at the fifth
precept.

> Is there any study that looks closely at the interface
>of Buddhism and Eckhart?

Please be more specific. Do you mean Eckhart von Hochheim
or Eckhart Tolle? Both are great favorites here on
buddha-l.

> I am not at all knowledgeable about Meister Eckhart but
>am currently intrigued by his suggestion to always expect
>to find god.

Eckhart von Hochheim, OP, said that God sees you with the
same eye with which you see God. (Or maybe it was the
other way around.) This kind of statement made Meister
Eckhart and Jakob Böhme favorites of George Fox and
various other early Quakers. Twentieth century Quakers who
follow the lead of Rufus Jones (a disciple of William
James and Josiah Royce) also quote Eckhart von Hochheim
(and Eckhart Tolle) and Jakob Böhme quite often. They also
love to cite the Buddha and Rumi (who was a Persian Sufi
Muslim, which must account for why the CIA and FBI are so
often wasting taxpayers' money by infiltrating the ranks
of Quakers in feverish anticipation of hearing Friends
preaching jihad and praising Mahmoud Ahmadinejad). If you
direct a question to Dr Google, you should turn up quite a
few references to Buddhism and Christian and Muslim
mysticism. Actually, there were several graduate students
at various universities in Montreal who were exploring the
possible influence of Persian Sufism on Tibetan Buddhism.

  I have read the Koyoto school mentioning him
>in Religion and Nothingness and the Nothingness Beyond
>God. I think it went over my head a bit.

Perhaps, although it may have also gone under your chin.
Those Kyōto School philosophers threw so may wild pitches
that one never can tell where they went. They are a lot of
fun to read, but I much prefer Garrison Keillor.

Richard