[Buddha-l] Eckhart and Buddhism - general question

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Fri Jul 2 04:46:54 MDT 2010

Hi again,

Is there any study that looks closely at the interface of Buddhism and Eckhart? I'm not sure if philosophers or scholars do think through commonalities quite how I want here, which would be to be able to say that this or that concept of Eckhart is not just close to Buddhism but what parts of Buddhism it compromises if here Eckhart is taken literally, or visa versa. Maybe even what Eckhart would had to have changed to make him a Buddhist, that sort of thing.

I am not at all knowledgeable about Meister Eckhart but am currently intrigued by his suggestion to always expect to find god. I have read the Koyoto school mentioning him in Religion and Nothingness and the Nothingness Beyond God. I think it went over my head a bit.

Thank you very much for any helpful comments.

Best,

Luke