[Buddha-l] Religious violence, Buddhist violence

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jan 20 16:56:18 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 15:32 -0700, JKirkpatrick wrote:

> Richard's intruding his idea of a "ready-made"
> critique into this discussion is resroting to a gratuitous straw
> man.

Is there any other kind of straw man?

But I digress. I was not at all resroting, or even resorting, to a straw
man, since I was not suggesting that others do things in a different way
from how I do them. Rather, I was trying to show that in doing what I
do, I do pretty much exactly what everyone else does, namely, to present
information (about something such as Aum Shinrikyo) and to trust my
students to be able to evaluate it appropriately.