[Buddha-l] Religious violence, Buddhist violence

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jan 20 15:32:35 MST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Erik
Hoogcarspel
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:16 PM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Religious violence, Buddhist violence

Op 20-1-2010 19:09, Richard P. Hayes schreef:
> On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 08:08 -0700, JKirkpatrick wrote:
> Socrates was put on trial for
> corrupting the youth and for impiety, or dishonouring the gods,
and
> the way in which he did it was to encourage people to find
their own
> answers to important questions and to question those who
provide
> superficial answers. He taught people to think critically. He
did not
> give them a ready-made critique.

Come on, Richard. The Japanese sect was poisoning innocent people
in order to blackmail Japanese society and the Buddha spent 40
years wandering and explaining everyone who would listen how to
get free from desire and worldly troubles. After explaining this
to your students you ask them to find out for themselves if the
Japanese Aumcult acted according to the words of the Buddha. They
must find this an impossible task!

Erik

JK
Erik, right about the pedagogical method, maybe wrong about the
students!Today's US students are capable of finding anything the
teacher asks them to, made-up if necessary.

Back to my point: Richard's intruding his idea of a "ready-made"
critique into this discussion is resroting to a gratuitous straw
man.