[Buddha-l] unwed couples are like Krishna and Radha

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Apr 4 14:10:09 MDT 2010

On Apr 3, 2010, at 10:07 PM, Katherine Masis wrote:

> Actually, there are plenty of non-cultish support groups for family members of cult members.  The trouble is, newfangled religions aren't the only cults around.

True enough. A cult is simply an object of worship and a set of rituals developed for that worship. It's a purely descriptive term that has somehow been turned into an evaluative term by some people who use language carelessly.

>  Practically any organization can become a cult: an established religion, a political party, an environmental group, a sports team, a corporation, etc.

There are two kinds of human organizations: those that become cults, and those that do not survive.

> But it might be almost impossible to get support for the families of people who hang out with atheists and deists, or who worry about Catholic conspiracies.

I have been thinking of starting a support group for the parents and siblings of people who take philosophy courses.

> P.S. What does any of this have to do with Krishna and Radha, anyway?

It's their fault. (For "it" substitute anything you would like to find someone to blame for.)

Richard