[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jul 28 19:40:03 MDT 2009

On Jul 27, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Piya Tan wrote:

> Of course, like the word jesuit, hinayana goes both ways. A Jesuit
> is a
> jesuit by any other name.

There is, however, one important difference. Members of the Society of
Jesus happily call themselves Jesuits, while no Buddhist ever calls
herself a hīnayānin.

> I often meet the princes of the Mahayana church today who are very
> apologetic about the term hinayana, and suggest that we stop using it.

That seems quite extreme and betrays a lack of understanding. The term
is very useful as a warning. The warning is: do not let your own
practice become hīnayāna. (As someone once suggested, one's practice
becomes hīnayāna the moment one calls someone else a hīnayāna.)

> Unlike the concerned Burmese to Bielefieldt, I would answer: Too late!

It is never too late to start being careful with how one speaks.

> Honi soit mal y pense.

That phrase is very useful if you need something to hold up your
stockings. (Monks, of course, have no stockings to hold up. And if
they ARE wearing stockings, be sure Schnipp Schnupp will turn them in
to the Vinaya Gestapo.)

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico