[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:37:35 MDT 2009

I do not mind using the term hinayana, esp to myself and my practice. To me
it is just a useful sound, that friends understand and distractors make fun
of. It's one way of knowing who they more sane people are.

Of course, like the word jesuit, hinayana goes both ways. A Jesuit is a
jesuit by any other name. But I like remember well a jesuit friend of mine,
Bro Joseph, who invited me to have a great lunch in the Jesuit Seminary in
Berkeley. The Dominican monk was not so friendly: I think he knew I knew the
jesuit.

I often meet the princes of the Mahayana church today who are very
apologetic about the term hinayana, and suggest that we stop using it.

Unlike the concerned Burmese to Bielefieldt, I would answer: Too late!

Oh yes, the Lotus of the Sad Dharma, I like that!

Honi soit mal y pense.

Piya Tan