[Buddha-l] Encoding nasals

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jul 26 15:41:02 MDT 2009

  I was referring to N re: retroflex, not ñ---and if Asian people
wish to simplify the spelling of their names, so what?

JK
=========================

On Jul 26, 2009, at 2:15 PM, jkirk wrote:

> Yes, indeed--I meant retroflex not alveolar.

With with tilde is palatal, not retroflex or alveolar. In all
standard romanization schemes it is spelled n with tilde (Unicode
UTF-8 ñ). As Jayarava has said, some Asian people choose not to
transliterate their name but Anglicize it so it can be spelled
without any diacritical marks at all in a way that any old gringo
can approximately pronounce.
Hence names such as Nyanaponika.

Phonetic anglicization leads to some puzzling results. It might
not be obvious to your average Kansas tractor mechanic, for
example, that Arvind and Aurobindo are exactly the same name,
namely, Aravinda.
Never mind Mukherjee and Mukhopadhyaya.

Richard Haze