[Buddha-l] A tribute to Ven. Sheng-yen

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Feb 6 10:52:33 MST 2009

On February 6, 2009 Benito Carral wrote:

> I  have found that Buddhism is an unsatisfactory way
> from my point of view, so I have come to Benism.

I have a feeling this is true of every one of us who read this list. If
we found Buddhism satisfactory we would probably practice it rather than
writing and reading messages on buddha-l. Most of us are not honest
enough to call the quirky and idiosyncratic religion we inconsistently
practice by our own names. We don't find many references on buddha-l to
Curtism, Peavlerism, jkirkism or Dayamatism. (We do find that Mona is
straightforward enough to call her religion Monism, but she's in a class
by herself.)

Phaedo calls. I have to go teach that bewildering text in about an hour,
and I am completely baffled by it. It looks like I'll have to resort to
doing my bad imitation of a stand-up comic again and hope the students
don't catch on that I don't have the faintest idea what the hell Plato
was getting at in this obscurantist diatribe. I just have a hunch it was
neither Buddhism nor Benism.

--
Dayamati (alias Richard P. Hayes)
Department of Philosophy