[Buddha-l] Being in Love

Stefan Detrez stefandetrez at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:34:51 MST 2008

Dear Bob,

> My wife and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary this year, and if
> Buddhism did not affirm those 40 years (which have been wonderful and
> not-to-be-missed), then so much the worse for Buddhism.

Studying cannonical texts, I sometimes get the impression that as a person the Buddha must have been quite emotionally unstable. His story of going forth in particular is exemplary of someone not being able to cope with life's less beautiful aspects as death and disease. Eventhough the abandoning of his wife was regarded as a religious ideal, the case of the Buddha seems to be one of someone's incapacity to deal with emotional turmoil. Life has beautiful things and ugly things, but why throw away the whole world to avoid emotional distress for me is one bridge too far.

> > Call me a romantic, but romantic love is not so bad an option... as long
> > as it grows beyond its limiting self. Come to think of it, there's
> > really nothing more romantic than eventually renouncing worldly love of
> > one out of spiritual love for all. (The Buddha did just that.)

... which is where polyamory would probably be regarded as the most spiritual love of all.

Greetings,

Stefan