[Buddha-l] Being in Love

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon Feb 18 16:36:22 MST 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Bob Zeuschner wrote:
> I've been reading this topic with interest. I've thought about it myself
> often, and I've tried to interpret Buddhism as affirming non-possessive love,
> non-attached, non-egocentric love.
> However, I'm not sure there are any canonical sources which truly assert
> this.

This cannot be right? There is so much emphasis on metta and karuna in
the Buddha-Dharma of whatever yana.

> My wife and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary this year, and if Buddhism
> did not affirm those 40 years (which have been wonderful and
> not-to-be-missed), then so much the worse for Buddhism.

Good for you. To me, Buddhism don't have a problem with happiness... it is
suffering that it is trying to deal with. Reading the scriptures, I find
that while the Buddha showed concerns about negative tendencies in lay
life, he has never negated it. In the Sigalovada Sutta, the Buddha said:

"In five ways, young householder, should a wife as the West be ministered
to by a husband:

(i) by being courteous to her,
(ii) by not despising her,
(iii) by being faithful to her,
(iv) by handing over authority to her,
(v) by providing her with adornments.
"The wife thus ministered to as the West by her husband shows her
compassion to her husband in five ways:

(i) she performs her duties well,
(ii) she is hospitable to relations and attendants
(iii) she is faithful,
(iv) she protects what he brings,
(v) she is skilled and industrious in discharging her duties.
"In these five ways does the wife show her compassion to her husband who
ministers to her as the West. Thus is the West covered by him and made
safe and secure."

Like I said before, these however should be read in the context of
marriage at that time. And it is up to us - the laity now - to reinterpret
it in a modern setting.

Weng-Fai