[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Feb 13 15:49:16 MST 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 14:38, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> It might be that the
> Pali papanca we are speaking of is a bit more doctrinally focused than
> the Sanskrit prapanca that Richard is more familiar with.

That seems right to me. It is important to bear in mind, I think, that
prapanca is not at all a descriptive term. It is an evaluative term, an
invariably negative value judgment. The perception of prapanca is in direct
proportion to the perceiver's psychological need to feel superior to the
person perceived as indulging in prapanca.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy