[Buddha-l] A Different Take on Devadatta

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Aug 28 13:52:47 MDT 2008

Franz:

"I think Devadatta is very reasonably righteous about both these
matters. "

Either that, or being a very fanatical puritan and nosy to boot.

Cheers, Joanna
================

Gang,

Thanks for the fascinating conjectures on Devadatta.
Coincidentally, in the novel I'm writing, Devadatta figures
prominently. In my version of the family, Devadatta is
Yasodara/Bhaddakaccana's brother. His problem with the
Siddattha/Buddha is then twofold: 1) Siddattha leaves her and
their son for years; 2) later, the Buddha fails to keep the new
order respectable by upholding proper austerity. I think
Devadatta is very reasonably righteous about both these matters.
Of course later he had to be painted in the blackest way so as to
provide a useful villain. He and his followers are to Buddhism
roughly as the "Priests and Pharisees" are to Christianity
(especially in Matthew, written after the destruction of the
Second Temple).

Cheers,

Franz