[Buddha-l] A Different Take on Devadatta

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Aug 28 15:02:49 MDT 2008

Joanna et al.,

You quoted me and commented:

> "I think Devadatta is very reasonably righteous about both these
> matters. "
>
> Either that, or being a very fanatical puritan and nosy to boot.
>
> Cheers, Joanna

Well, yes, that too. I'm definitely on the Buddha's side in the book,
regarding the asceticism of the sangha. I think they needed to follow a
middle way, even if that meant losing some cultural cachet for their
tapas. As for the abandonment of Siddhattha's wife and
child--Devadatta's sister and nephew, I'm more on Devadatta's side. Of
course it was less of a big deal back then in that culture, but
still...

The wonderfully murky depth to these characters is why, after all these
years, people still write papers and novels about them.

Franz