[Buddha-l] A Different Take on Devadatta

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Aug 28 11:07:14 MDT 2008

Gang,

Thanks for the fascinating conjectures on Devadatta. Coincidentally, in
the novel I'm writing, Devadatta figures prominently. In my version of
the family, Devadatta is Yasodara/Bhaddakaccana's brother. His problem
with the Siddattha/Buddha is then twofold: 1) Siddattha leaves her and
their son for years; 2) later, the Buddha fails to keep the new order
respectable by upholding proper austerity. I think Devadatta is very
reasonably righteous about both these matters. Of course later he had
to be painted in the blackest way so as to provide a useful villain. He
and his followers are to Buddhism roughly as the "Priests and
Pharisees" are to Christianity (especially in Matthew, written after
the destruction of the Second Temple).

Cheers,

Franz