[Buddha-l] David Loy, catering and shaggy dog stories

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 12 13:54:19 MDT 2007

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
>> "kaasbrood" strikes me as a bit odd though. Usually it is or was called
>>
> "broodje kaas",
>
> Now that is interesting, since the menu had two types of kaas brood, "old"
> and "young" (I don't remember the Dutch spelling ...), which apparently
> indicated how long the cheese was aged or how sharp it was. I chose the
> "old" kaas brood, and it was very tasty. The bread was not a roll, nor a
> baguette, but rather thickly sliced broad bread, similar to Italian bread.

Off course, being a country with 200 different kinds of protestantism
and one kind of chees we Dutch take cheese very seriously and we have '
jong' (4 weeks), ' belegen' (6 months) and 'oud' (a year or more).
> My wife's theory on why the waitress was nonresponsive to Käsebrot is not
> that she didn't understand it, but rather that she didn't want to make any
> concessions to someone who might be German. I have no idea whether her
> theory has any merit...

An other possiblility was that the waitress was thinking about how much
she would overcharge you. Elderly people, who can remember the 2nd WW
tend to over charge every German tourist. Younger people only overcharge
people who mess up the composita. The Buddha was never overcharged while
stayting in Holland, because he knew his composita. This gave the Dutch
so much good karma that they excell in soccer.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio