[Buddha-l] David Loy, catering and shaggy dog stories

Timothy Smith smith at wheelwrightassoc.com
Fri Oct 12 14:26:39 MDT 2007

In 1966, just after leaving high-school, I travelled to Spain (to be
the next great American flamenco guitarist*) via ship from Los
Angeles.  My D-Deck companions were an elderly Scots coal miner with
a great sense of humor and a thirst to match it, and a young,
boisterous, German businessman named Guenther  heading home from some
place the ship had been between London  and LA.  We called at Curaçao
for a day on our way through the Caribbean.  I remember being in a
shop with him as he blustered around.  He said something to the
Dutch shopkeeper who went instantly ballistic, screaming  in a combo
of english and dutch "get out of my shop you goddamned Nazi!"   It
was my first experience with anything like that, having grown up in
So. Cal and not ever been abroad.  I was shocked and dismayed, yet
even then recognized my own prejudices against 'germanic accents'.
Guenther was as thoroughly deflated as any person I've ever known.
Buddhist content:  Karma, ignorance, hatred, etc.

*Didn't happen

Timothy Smith
Wheelwright Associates

www.wheelwrightassoc.com