[Buddha-l] philosophical yeomanism

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sun Jun 3 11:07:19 MDT 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Those were the days my friend, allthough I would hesitate to
> qualify Tsongkhapa and Mipam as philosophers, I think they were
> more doctrine reformers like Luther and Küng. Nowadays the Buddhist
> leaders are not productive, but reproductive, they preach the truth
> instead of asking themselves questions, their minds are as dead as
> doornails.

Hoo-dam-ra! I wanted to say that, but I am not a philosopher. I am
just a free-born American yeoman.

Anti-authoritarian? You betcha.

Do I do sitting meditation, try to follow the precepts to the best of
my ability. Yup.

Question authority, truth, facts and factotums? Absolutely -- oops. I
mean yes, to the best of my personal ability.

So, I am not sure whether I am a Buddhist or a philosopher either.  I
wonder if it makes a difference?