[Buddha-l] philosophical (as opposed to agnostical) buddhism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 3 08:44:18 MDT 2007

curt schreef:
> Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
>> curt schreef:
>>
> There are varying legends about the origins of the word "cosmopolitan"
> - I believe the most persistent legend is that it was first coined by
> Diogenes the Cynic (who was probably the second most admired
> philosopher of the ancient world - after Socrates). All of the
> "schools" of philosophy were deeply cosmopolitan - whether they used
> the word or not.
It depends how you define the word. Literally it means one whose city is
the world. Most Athenians had little appreciation of other cultures or
valuesystems. One who didn't speak Greek was a mumbler (barbaros) and
Athens was of course the only city in the world. Passing a polite remark
about another culture is imho not enough to qualitfy oneself as being a
cosmopolitan.  One of Socrateses hang-ups was the relativism of the
sofists, they were too cosmopolitan for his taste. He on the other hand
insisted on his loyalty to the Gods of Athens. Off course in the
Hellenistic period things changed, but the myth about the disagreement
between Alexander and Aristotle, where the latter insists on the
superiority of the Greeks, is significant. Zeno, being a phenecian of
origin and a tradesman had a good reason to be e cosmopolitan in this way.

> We know nothing of Socrates except through other writers - primarily
> his most famous student, Plato. Although there is no evidence that
> Plato called himself a "cosmopolitan" - he most certainly was one. In
> one of his most famous and influential dialogs, the Timaeus, Plato
> portrays the Greeks literally as "children" with respect to the
> Egyptians. In the First Alcibiades (which some people claim was not
> actually be Plato - but not for any good reason), Socrates portrays
> the Persians as vastly superior to the Greeks in terms of their culture.
>
> If someone doesn't appear to be a philosopher to you, I wouldn't worry
> about it too much. People like Shantideva, Nagarjuna, Tsongkapa,
> Mipham, etc were clearly "philosophers".

Those were the days my friend, allthough I would hesitate to qualify
Tsongkhapa and Mipam as philosophers, I think they were more doctrine
reformers like Luther and Küng. Nowadays the Buddhist leaders are not
productive, but reproductive, they preach the truth instead of asking
themselves questions, their minds are as dead as doornails. Their main
occupation is flying around in jets and buying real estate.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950