[Buddha-l] philosophical (as opposed to agnostical) buddhism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jun 2 13:01:07 MDT 2007

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
> curt schreef:
>
> Curt, I welcome your suggestion to replace the term 'agnostic' with
> 'philosophical'. Agnosticism is just mental laziness. The term
> 'cosmopolism' is however coined by the Stoïcs who were not the first
> philosophers. Socrates looked upon himself as an Athenian, but ok
> that's a detail. There is a problem with philosophical Buddhism: most
> Buddhist hierophants don't have it in their genes. It's easier to
> teach a cow algebra than to teach a lama or a bikkhu philosophy.

There are varying legends about the origins of the word "cosmopolitan" -
I believe the most persistent legend is that it was first coined by
Diogenes the Cynic (who was probably the second most admired philosopher
of the ancient world - after Socrates). All of the "schools" of
philosophy were deeply cosmopolitan - whether they used the word or not.

We know nothing of Socrates except through other writers - primarily his
most famous student, Plato. Although there is no evidence that Plato
called himself a "cosmopolitan" - he most certainly was one. In  one of
his most famous and influential dialogs, the Timaeus, Plato portrays the
Greeks literally as "children" with respect to the Egyptians. In the
First Alcibiades (which some people claim was not actually be Plato -
but not for any good reason), Socrates portrays the Persians as vastly
superior to the Greeks in terms of their culture.

If someone doesn't appear to be a philosopher to you, I wouldn't worry
about it too much. People like Shantideva, Nagarjuna, Tsongkapa, Mipham,
etc were clearly "philosophers". It is an inherently elitist activity -
but at the same time if we follow the example of the Greeks this is an
elite that is open to all regardless of their "position" in society or
other "worldly" considerations. A slave or a woman or an emperor could
be a philosopher - and no matter what part of society one looks at,
philosophers make up a statistically insignificant minority. Most people
simply have no interest in philosophy - and among those who do there are
obviously a wide range of capacities - fortunately being a philosopher
entails no claims about "attainment" - only the claim to love wisdom.

- Curt