[Buddha-l] Driving to Religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Dec 26 16:46:03 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 11:00 -0500, Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D. wrote:

> In the meantime, my 5th grade daughter came home from school this week
> having been warned of the anti-Christian movie Golden Compass. Several
> of her peers had entire Sunday school classes devoted to this malignant
> menace posing as a harmless children's fantasy movie ahead of the
> Christmas break.

My wife and I and her Catholic son and daughter-in-law went to a
Unitarian service on Christmas eve. (Going to a Unitarian church to
celebrate Christmas makes about as much sense as going to a synagogue to
celebrate the founding of the Third Reich. But I digress, as is my
wont.) We noticed on the calendar of coming events that next Sunday,
instead of the usual service, there will be a discussion of "The Golden
Compass." (I guess they finally tired of discussing Al Gore's movie.
Time for the Uni-Uni fellowship to move on to another issue. Again, I
digress, wontingly.)

> I just saw that the Vatican has condemned the movie as
> anti-Chrisitan as well

I doubt very much that is is true. I suspect it is a rumor planted by
the film's promoters in a shameless bid to attract Unitarians and
Buddhists.

By the way, I hear that the Vatican has condemned buddha-l. Pass it on.

--
El Coyote Amarillo