[Buddha-l] sam harris at the aspen institute

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 15 11:41:09 MDT 2007

> On Tuesday 14 August 2007 20:48, jkirk wrote:
>
>> "Where children are taught to be laws unto themselves, and to depend on
>> themselves; "
>>
>> This was already tried back in the fifties and sixties at Summerhill, and
>> in the end was found not to work. Wasn't that idea the basis of the
>> novel,
>> _Lord of the Flies_?

Summerhill was started by A.S. Neill in 1921 in Germany. He moved the school
to Austria for a short time before moving to England and taking the name
Summerhill.  Neill died in 1973, but the school continues,  being run by his
wife Ena until 1985 and today by  their daughter Zoe. The school had the
respect of Bertrand Russell and Henry Miller among other people.

I am not sure the school "was found not to work." I think it is hard to
translate what Neill and others were able to do to a broad base of teachers
and schools, though there is still wide interest in their view. Summerhill
now has 90 students, perhaps the most they have ever had, and has been
running continuously since 1921.

For those interested, see their website:
http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/pages/about.html .

Stuart