[Buddha-l] sam harris at the aspen institute

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Aug 15 15:15:40 MDT 2007

Summerhill was started by A.S. Neill in 1921 in Germany. He moved the school
to Austria for a short time before moving to England and taking the name
Summerhill.  Neill died in 1973, but the school continues,  being run by his
wife Ena until 1985 and today by  their daughter Zoe. The school had the
respect of Bertrand Russell and Henry Miller among other people.

I am not sure the school "was found not to work." I think it is hard to
translate what Neill and others were able to do to a broad base of teachers
and schools, though there is still wide interest in their view. Summerhill
now has 90 students, perhaps the most they have ever had, and has been
running continuously since 1921.

For those interested, see their website:
http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/pages/about.html .

Stuart
===================

Thanks for sending this information.  I read about Neill and his
experimental school back in the seventies.......since then the operations
and practices at the school no doubt have undergone changes.  My comment
about it not working was based on remiscences of former pupils at the school
and a few general discussions, form the seventies, of that kind of
schooling. I'm pleased to know that it has been more successful than it used
to be.

Joanna

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:19 PM