[Buddha-l] sam harris at the aspen institute

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 15 11:09:53 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 20:48, jkirk wrote:

> "Where children are taught to be laws unto themselves, and to depend on
> themselves; "
>
> This was already tried back in the fifties and sixties at Summerhill, and
> in the end was found not to work. Wasn't that idea the basis of the novel,
> _Lord of the Flies_?

So what is the alternative? Children should be taught to be dependent and
blindly obedient? The Buddha might have longed for such children in his
bhikkhu-sangha, but I'm not sure we'd be better off as a society if young
people were not encouraged to think critically and independently.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy