[Buddha-l] anti-Israel and anti-semitism

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 27 11:23:50 MDT 2006

Joanna et al.,

On the subject of gender relations in Islam (which are, indeed, more
complex than it seems at first glance), Leila Ahmed has written a fine
introductory work (with further depth tying Islamicism *to* feminism in
Egypt) titled _Women in Islam_ (Yale U.P, 1992). I used it in an
undergraduate course on gender and religion and my students were both
surprised and provoked. Got some good discussion going! (Nicer than the
one folks have been having here, for sure.) A really different, but, to
me powerful perspective, comes from Fatima Mernissi, a feminist
Moroccan Muslim. She's also a Marxist. In fact, her very *existence*
problematizes simplistic views of gender in Islam. Her basic views are
set out in _The Veil and the Male Elite: A Feminist Interpretation of
Women's Rights in Islam_ (Perseus Press, 1992). She's not so sanguine
as Ahmed (who is hardly sanguine, either).

To go into detail on these women's (and others') views on the rights
and treatment of women in Islam is--however fun--simply wrong speech on
this list. We need go get back to Buddhism, but I couldn't resist a
word on this topic.

Mandatory Buddhist content:

Joanna, do you really feel compassion for the brothers/murderers of
raped women? I can't decide if I want to knock you upside the head or
bow to you. I'm going to do the bow and see how it feels...

Yes, that was the right thing to do. I can even share your compassion
now, but I'm sure I would not feel it in person with such men. Such a
long road we have to travel to meet people where they are! And then to
find we never were apart? I wish I believed in rebirth.

Franz