[Buddha-l] yogic fire

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Nov 2 08:48:58 MST 2006

This story appeared on another list. I'm wondering if it is indeed in the Pali canon, and if so where?
Joanna

I don't have the references to the Pali canon on hand, but there is a story that Ananda, the Buddha's attendent, immolated himself after entering samadhi in the middle of a river.  He did this to prevent conflict between the King of Magadha (Ajatasatru) and the Licchavi nobles of Vaisali over his relics, which were distributed on either side of the river.  Lamotte mentions the story in his History of Indian Buddhism (227-228), but does not specifically mention that he burned himself.

Justin Fifield
Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin