[Buddha-l] yogic fire

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 2 09:38:14 MST 2006

Joanna,

I think this version is from the Chinese pilgrim Fa-hsien. The story
is not found in the Pali Canon, but a similar account is given in the
Pali Dhammapada commentary (Dhp-a II 100):
Aananda knew that his life-span was coming to an end and announced
that he would enter parinibbaana in seven days. Inhabitants on the
two banks of the river Rohin.ii asked him to do so among them. Both
had been his supporters and he feared a quarrel over his relics. So
he assembled them on the two banks. When the time came, he seated
himself in the air above the river and announced that his body would
divide into two parts. He then made a resolve for that to happen and
entered meditation on the fire element. Flames arose and his body
split into two, alighting on each bank. The multitude lamented.

Lance Cousins