[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:56:26 MST 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:

RPH> It will be interesting to see whether anyone is willing to provide
RPH> arguments for that conclusion. Since it is not a conclusion I myself
RPH> have ever accepted, I have never tried to produce arguments in its
RPH> favor. If I had more time, I might give it a try, just for the fun of
RPH> it, but for now I lack the time.

maybe still you can remember your defence of the nervous system as the
cause of the arising of -self. All these threads were in the previous
server in where Buddha-L. I ignore if you have some archive of them.
( By the way, if you have these archives, I think a good idea put it
them in public service. )

The most recent message that I have is in the Thread "BUDDHA-L Digest
- 28 Feb 2005 to 1 Mar 2005 (#2005-57)". It is not so showy as the
those of the past.

However, also here you are seeing the continuity of the process
passing to Creator; therefore denying that these same processes which
today are able to build the illusion of a self, they don't have
continuity because death. Therefore, not able to cause the same thing
in the future.
It is in fact the same Brahmanist notion of Buddhadhasa talks. But
here, developed by means a non-rebirth very different of that arising
because patticasamuppada:

RPH> Having said that, I am quite sure there will be some sort of continuity
RPH> of my santaana. My ample body will feed many worms and a few rodents. My
RPH> personality will continue to influence people who knew me when I was
RPH> still alive. My influence on people who knew me will not perish the
RPH> moment I take my last breath. That is true of all of us.

So it is not in that way. But all the causes that today are able to
conform the illusion of a -self, while there is not a cease, then they
will be able to build again the same illusion. And death is not any
obstacle. It will be not the same being but he will exist because the
previous one.

best regards,