[Buddha-l] Seduction of a holy man

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 28 17:14:55 MST 2006

Gang,

Dan, touché! Of course Hakuin couldn't tell that story about himself.
You made me chuckle at myself.

But, Dan, you also ask if knowing whether the Hakuin story is
historical would "make it a better tale." That's an interesting
question and Michael LaTorra has already begun to explore it. As he
points out, the story is effectively a myth, and the truth and power of
myth have little to do with history (perhaps, à la Eliade, *nothing* to
do with history). Still, I fear knowing it was historically veridical
and accurate *would* make it a better story for *me*. Reckon I just
don't have that "God gene."

Franz