[Buddha-l] Seduction of a holy man

Dan Lusthaus yogacara at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:42:58 MST 2006

>Still, I fear knowing it was historically veridical
> and accurate *would* make it a better story for *me*. Reckon I just
> don't have that "God gene."

Franz, actually I agree with you in a way... it would be nice to know that
this is a verifiable account of the historical Hakuin.

On the other hand, one may also be cautious treating his own
autobiographical writings. How accurately do they portray the events,
people, etc., discussed? Even, how accurate were Hakuin's perceptions of
these events? Would others have seen them differently? Since he
self-describes some fairly manic and depressive episodes, and the sort of
general disorientations that these days can get one institutionalized and/or
a steady supply of potent medication, his descriptions may be honest to his
recollection of his feelings at those times (or they may not), but others
may have viewed those events and Hakuin's behavior at those times quite
differently. His writing can be confessional, but he is too good a
rhetorician (with a mission) to naively think that he wrote with naked
candor (if such a thing is either possible or exists at all).

As for the legends (which means someone is both important enough, and amply
sparks the imagination of others to the extent that they would generate and
attach "legends" to that person, which, almost by definition, can never be
entirely historically true), we can compare stories such as his sou-desuka
episode, and any of the other oft-repeated anecdotes about Hakuin, and
examine whether or not they are consistent with the persona that emerges
from Hakuin's own writings and the sorts of historical data that we do feel
comfortable considering as historically veridical. There is nothing in the
sou-desuka story that seems, on its face, inconsistent with the Hakuin
persona. So perhaps it is true. If it didn't happen, might it be the case
that, had he been accused in such a fashion, that is what he would have
done? Who knows? I guess we would all like to believe so. Isn't that so?

cheers,
Dan Lusthaus