[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist family life

Benito Carral bcarral at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:05:16 MST 2006

On Monday, December 11, 2006, Richard Nance wrote:

>> So,  as  far  as  I'm concerned, marxism is a cancer
>> that should be transformed (reeducated) if possible.

> I  think  you're  working with a mixed metaphor here,
> Benito. [...]

   Well,  I  think  that maybe you're right. So I could
paraphrase  myself  and  say, "As far as I'm concerned,
marxism is a mental virus that should removed through a
reeducation of its hosts." Better?

>> these  days  I'm  exploring  such  a  link  [between
>> postmodern reinterpretations of traditional Buddhism
>> and  cultural  marxism]  in  order  to  explain  why
>> marxist-oriented Westerners, wich are majority,

> Watch out for over-hasty generalizations

   Generalizations are useful when they are correct, no
matter how hastily they are written.

> Do  you  meant  that most Westerners are Marxists, or
> that most Marxists are Westerners?

   I  don't  think that such an ambiguity is present in
my  words,  anyway,  what I say is that most Westerners
are  marxists,  although in an unconscious way, just as
cultural marxist social enginery attempts.

> [T]his    is    a   claim   that,   without   further
> qualification,  seems  patently  false  --  though  I
> haven't  checked  in  with "most Westerners" to check
> its  veracity.

   Well,   you   can  study  Western  laws,  mainstream
education,  and  popular  culture and compare them with
the Frankfurt School's ideas.

   You can also read this article:

   http://www.tomvalentine.com/html/culture_wars.html

> (Nor am I quite sure where and how you're drawing the
> "West"/"East" divide.)

   Just  as  the COED defines it, "the West: Europe and
North America seen in contrast to other civilizations,"
although I could have referred to "globalized citizens"
as well.

   Best wishes,

--
   Benito Carral