[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist family life

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:19:17 MST 2006

On 12/11/06, Benito Carral <bcarral at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, as far
> as  I'm  concerned,  marxism is a cancer that should be
> transformed (reeducated) if possible.

I think you're working with a mixed metaphor here, Benito. Cancers
aren't re-educable, as far as I know (though I'm not an oncologist).
To say that X is a "cancer" seems to me to imply that X a threat to
survival -- one that needs to be cut away, eradicated, disposed of,
destroyed, etc. This may seem a somewhat trivial point, but I don't
think it is: if your goal is education, you might want to ponder the
terms in which you characterize those whom you intend to instruct.

> these  days  I'm  exploring  such  a  link  in order to
> explain   why  marxist-oriented  Westerners,  wich  are
> majority,

Watch out for over-hasty generalizations -- especially those that are
ambiguous. Do you meant that most Westerners are Marxists, or that
most Marxists are Westerners? From the general thrust of your
paragraph, you seem to mean the former. But this is a claim that,
without further qualification, seems patently false -- though I
haven't checked in with "most Westerners" to check its veracity. (Nor
am I quite sure where and how you're drawing the "West"/"East"
divide.)

Best wishes,

R. Nance