[Buddha-l] Re: Devadatta the Renegade: The Thrue History of Buddhism

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Mon Oct 17 23:40:29 MDT 2005

Benito Carral wrote:

>>I  am  not so sure. The rigorism came first (Jainism,
>>the  Buddha's  unsuccessful  practice  of  ascetism).
>>Perhaps   Devadatta   cum   suis   were  simply  more
>>traditionalist  and  thought Buddhism went too far in
>>its redefinition.

>    The  question  is that Devadattian regorists defined
> themselves against the mainstream Buddhist sangha. They
> were  a  minority  without  much  historical success.

If one believes in a mainstream Buddhist (read Theravada and
Sarvastivada) sangha right from the start, then I understand that is the
way one sees "Devadattian rigorism". But I don't believe in a mainstream
Buddhism right from the start. I believe in various ascetic currents
that grew into "mainstream Buddhism", the Buddhism that succeeded
historically, initially. But the elder currents must have been logically
more inclined to living in forests than in settlements, and more
"rigorist" than "middle way".

Also if it is historical success that determines what mainstream
Buddhism is, then I am afraid that Theravada and Sarvastivada are
loosing field to Mahayana Buddhism.

Joy