[Buddha-l] Re: Devadatta the Renegade: The Thrue History of Buddhism

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Mon Oct 17 14:16:45 MDT 2005

On Saturday, October 15, 2005, Joy Vriens wrote:

>> I  think that I don't tend to do it. But in the case
>> of the Devadattian rigorists, I think that they were
>> the  ones  who  decided to define themselves against
>> the mainstrean sangha.

> I  am  not so sure. The rigorism came first (Jainism,
> the  Buddha's  unsuccessful  practice  of  ascetism).
> Perhaps   Devadatta   cum   suis   were  simply  more
> traditionalist  and  thought Buddhism went too far in
> its redefinition.

   The  question  is that Devadattian regorists defined
themselves against the mainstream Buddhist sangha. They
were  a  minority  without  much  historical success. I
suppose  that they tried to moved away from a decandent
sangha  (inspired  not  by Jainism nor by the Old Guy's
former  ascestic  practices  but  by  his  example as a
Buddhist)  and  I  admire  that (as I admire the people
from  the  Forest  tradition  or  some  wandering  Chan
monks),  however  it  seems  that  they also eventually
became decandent - I know, some people call "evolution"
to "decadence," but not me.

   Best wishes,

   Beni