[Buddha-l] Re: Vipassana?

d f tweney dylan at tweney.com
Sun Oct 16 22:01:27 MDT 2005

On Oct 16, 2005, at 12:21 PM, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> The best source I have found is Henepola Gunaratana's books. A simple
> one is called Mindfulness in Plain English. A more extensive book is
> his
> Path of Serenity and Insight.

Mindfulness in Plain English is available online:
http://www.enabling.org/ia/vipassana/Archive/G/Gunaratana/
MindfulnessIPE/

It was reading this text that made me think about the similarity with
Zen -- since both begin with focusing on the breath, observing thoughts
as they arise but not fixating on them, just letting the thoughts rise
and fall away while returning the attention to the breath.

>  If the goal is to become
> liberated form dukkha, vipassana is the method of choice. If your goal
> is to become an obedient robot, go for Zen.

Well! Vipassana it is then!