[Buddha-l] Re: Vipassana?

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 16 21:36:47 MDT 2005

On Oct 16, 2005, at 1:21 PM, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> Not really. There is just more mumbo jumbo about enlightenment in Zen,
> in addition to which you have to put up with a totalitarian master who
> abuses you and tells you it is good for you. If the goal is to become
> liberated form dukkha, vipassana is the method of choice. If your goal
> is to become an obedient robot, go for Zen.

Well damn. I have been a damned fool for well over 20 years. I have
been fairly serious about studying and practicing Zen for that time and
never once realized that I had a totalitarian master, nor am I aware
that I have become an obedient robot. I even supposed, foolishly
enough, that I was working toward being liberated from dukkha (with
some success I had imagined), and had never heard (from any of my
teachers/totalitarian masters) that "enlightenment" was a necessary
goal (or even possible).

Where did I go wrong? And where should I start over (I only have a
short time to get it right.)

Jim Peavler

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755