[Buddha-l] Re: [Buddha-l ribbing ( Gender on Buddha-l)

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Oct 12 09:01:35 MDT 2005

What passes for "humor" is very often not only a "form of violence" but
is actually part of much larger pattern that includes "actual" violence.
My favorite example of this kind of "humor" is Aristophanes' play "The
Clouds". This is one of most side-splittingly hilarious pieces of
literature even written. But Aristophanes wrote it as part of a campaign
to whip up public sentiment against Socrates (who is the "butt" of the
play). This campaign, as everyone knows, eventually "succeeded" in
Socrates' trial and execution. Anyone with even a little bit of a sense
of humor can't help but laugh out loud at the way in which Aristophanes
ridicules Socrates (http://classics.mit.edu/Aristophanes/clouds.html).
Which is exactly what Aristophanes and his co-conspirators wanted. More
immediate examples of this "dark side" of humor are racist and sexist
jokes - which obviously perpetuate an environment in which "actual"
violence is not only made more acceptable, but is even encouraged or
glorified in these "jokes".

The reason why this works so well, in my opinion, is that "ribbing" is a
natural form of socialization that not only comes easily to human beings
- but that we naturally and spontaneously gravitate toward. I think its
necessary to distinguish between "ribbing" and "ribbing" (see the
difference?). "Ribbing" can be not only harmless, but an expression of
great intimacy and affection. And it can also be a way for friends,
lovers, and family members to "vent" or express things they don't want
to (or aren't able to) come right and say. And it is also a way for
people to learn how to establish boundaries and rules in a playful and
less confrontational way.

Having said all that - unless someone is a good friend or a lover or a
family member, then if they don't want to be "kidded", leave 'em alone -
anything else goes beyond mere ribbing and slips in to ridicule. But if
they are your little brother never ever relent.

- Curt