[Buddha-l] Re: An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

Andrew Skilton skiltonat at Cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 05:27:50 MDT 2005

Tue, 11 Oct 2005 JKirk wrote:

> (I simply do not have the time to go back and repeat every one of the 17 posts

that were just ignored.)

Your point is made! Thankyou for clarifying the factual basis of this
discussion.

>I don't really know how Franz intended this to mean-- "promote women's
voices?"--

True enough - I made assumptions about what he meant.

> The rhetorical style found too often on this list is one that would
send most intelligent women off to more hospitable lists and has already
caused one more of them to leave.

Not just women, Joanna. I was indirectly hinting that perhaps there would be
broader participation in general on this list if, as you suggest, the style was
'adjusted'. But it is just another assumption that there is anyone who wants
broader participation...

>I suggest that there are honest negative emotions, and then there are just
plain role-playing fake emotions or masks of real hostility that pass for
banter.  Negativity is a fact of life, especially if someone is making
objections.

I was not presuming to interpret your emotions with my comment, but just to
observe that from my past experience I have been in situations where claims are
made by an alleged minority for greater 'air time' or influence, but my
judgement has been that the motive being expressed was to wrest power from 'the
majority' in order for it to be wielded by that minority. This is not what I
thought you were doing. However some feminist critiques come across like this
and often enough provoke defensive responses that take us nowhere.  There are
plenty of women out there who would be/are as oppressive or 'deaf' as many men
can be, surely?

Andrew Skilton

Cardiff