[Buddha-l] Gender on Buddha-l

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 17:09:04 MDT 2005

In message <6.4f15af05.307af45d at aol.com>, StormyTet at aol.com writes

>It takes sensitivity and truly listening to women to hear their
>difference of opinions. In a world where white men are predominantly
>invisible in their hegemony a man has to truly desire to see from a
>different position in order to do so. It does not surprise me that you
>do not see that there is gender differences. For you to see such thing,
>you would have to realize that your way of percieving was not the only
>way.  Why would you be naturally drawn to do such a thing?

Er, compassion? The point is, as previously mentioned, that views may be
split up into male/female, short/tall, fat/thin,  or whatever categories
one chooses.  Would one suggest there is a generic short person's  point
of view as opposed to a generic tall person's point of view?  Then, even
amongst women, there may be this group of women's point of view and that
group of women's point of view.

As I said earlier, if we make discriminations, we will find them.  There
then comes the next step of asserting that they exist independent of our
own mental constructs. Once we establish this in our mental continuum, I
think we will find it hard to cultivate compassion, because we will tend
to be distracted by our labels and not relate to the individual.

--
Metta
Mike Austin