[Buddha-l] Gender on Buddha-l

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 16:31:57 MDT 2005

In a message dated 10/9/2005 1:09:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu writes:

I tend  to agree with Richard.  There are differing points of view between
the  tall and the short and between those who look up and those who
look down  (as a matter of relative truth) but I fail to see how
there can be  different male and female points of view, unless they
fall within the  tall/short dichotomy.

Hi,

Just recently I was reading an audience reception study on the movie  "Thelma
and Louise." The men who viewed the movie almost unanimously hated the  film
and saw it as male-bashing. The women tended to see it as liberating. The
startling point is that the women were very, very aware of the rape scene and
the brutality the women faced. The men were more concerned about the idea that
men were represented like this -- their point being that not all men are
rapists. They were not concerned as much about the rape as the bad light it  threw
upon their gender.

It takes sensitivity and truly listening to women to hear their difference
of opinions. In a world where white men are predominantly invisible in their
hegemony a man has to truly desire to see from a different position in order to
 do so. It does not surprise me that you do not see that there is gender
differences. For you to see such thing, you would have to realize that your way
of percieving was not the only way.  Why would you be naturally drawn to do
such a thing?

Stormy