[Buddha-l] Re: +AFs-Buddha-l+AF0- Anomalous doctrines

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 13:33:39 MST 2005

Following a message I had off-list, I hope nobody thinks that when I wrote:

"According to many Mahayana sutras, the sravakas had lesser
ability in understanding, often took things literally and often missed the
point entirely.  etc etc"

that I was endorsing the Mahayana claims of superiority.  Nevertheless, it
might be worth thinking why some Mahayana folk came out with statements like
those -- apart, that is, from arrogance.   There are some hints in the MPNS
what lies behind this -- I'll try to elaborate in due course.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge