[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 103, Issue 6

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 22:49:22 MDT 2013

> Strawman. I'm demolishing your claim that "... muslim resistance movements
> in China and the former Soviet
> Union are not grounded in nationalist identities, but religious ones". It
> would be more correct to say that ethnicity AND religious identity ground
> these resistance movements.

If that is demolishing my claim, then ethnicity would have to be synonmous
with nationalistic. Otherwise what I said stands.

But it's much easier to accuse me of distortions and oversimplifications
than looking at the world with clear eyes.

>Indeed, the two are often intertwined.

Exactly. "Religion" has a fairly clear referent; "ethnicity" is vague and
plastic.

Yes? Is that too soto voce?

Dan