[Buddha-l] Sentience of Plants

'o-Dzin Tridral tridral at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 01:32:11 MDT 2013

Dear everyone,

A recent discussion on Anti-Muslim Violence wandered into the question of
the sentience of plants and discussed briefly: Between Bob Woolery and
Christopher Fynn

*Bob Woolery*
>    If we give any credence to the notion of sentience in plants, the
> implication is that we all must kill to live.  A strict Fruitarian might
> argue that he has escaped killing, and planting fruit trees maybe quashes
> the problem of seeds. The rest of us are for sure killing living things
who
> have no choice in the matter.

*Christopher Fynn*
Why in particular should a Buddhist give  this notion credence?

I was interested in this so I searched for articles on the subject and came
up with these two:

*Plant Possibilities in Early Buddhism (Elison Banks Findly)*
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3087619?uid=3738032&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21102587459021

*The Problem of the Sentience of Plants in Earliest Buddhism (Lambert
Schmithausen)*
http://www.scribd.com/doc/78950014/The-Problem-of-the-Sentience-of-Plants-in-Earliest-Buddhism

I hope these are of interest.

Best regards,